Sunday 17 March 2013

Wholemeal Griddle-pan Waffles


Until about a month ago, I was completely sure I hated waffles. I'm not quite sure where such a strong hate came from, since I generally only hate rocket out of all the foods in the world and I'm not actually sure whether I'd ever had a waffle, but I was sure and so I'd never once thought of eating one, let alone making one!

But that all changed at a friend's 16th not too long ago. Her Mum made her world famous waffles, and how could I say no to that? Fresh waffles, with a reese's piece in every little hole, doused in strawberry sauce- who was I to let along standing discrimination stand in the way of that?

They were brilliant, and ever since I've been dreaming of having them again, but since these waffles seem to be saved specifically for her birthday and that was far too long to wait, I decided it was time to have a stab at making my own. Now, being my completely waffle unaware self, I wasn't even entirely sure how the shape of a waffle was made. Magic?

Apparently not. It appears that there are special appliances specifically for making waffles! Who knew? (probably everyone else, oops! thank god for google) But since I don't happen to have said appliance, I put my aspirations off once again.

A few days ago, I couldn't do it anymore. I had to make them. And that's when this tutorial came in. 'A griddle pan? I've got one of those!' I thought, and well, the rest is history.

These waffles are great, crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside, and made a perfect sunday morning breakfast. They look like giant pancakes, but once you get into them, they clearly stand on the waffle side of that line. I'd recommend serving them hot, with a little yogurt, maple syrup and some fruit, and eating them lazily whilst reading the food section of the paper and drinking hot tea!

Mia

Wholemeal Griddle-pan Waffles
Based on: http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2012/08/grill-pan-waffles-how-to-make-waffles.html#.UUUwpBmKyMg and http://theinformedhealthnut.com/2012/03/19/flawless-whole-wheat-belgian-waffles/

    1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (option: sub in 1/4 cup wheat bran)
    1/2 cup flax meal
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp baking powder*
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 1/3 cups nonfat milk
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp coconut oil (do not reduce!)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine flour, flax, bran if using, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla, and eggs. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and stir until well combined. Add the coconut oil and mix again.
3. Heat a griddle pan over medium heat, and brush with coconut or grapeseed oil (it needs to be able to withstand high heat)
4. Pour approx. 1/2 a cup of the batter into the greased pan, spreading until it achieves the shape you desire. Cook for 3-4 minutes, checking occasionally until the bottom is dark golden and the edges are firm (this step is important, if you flip it too early it won't cook through)
5.

*I know, it sounds crazy, but trust me- lifting all that wholemeal and flax takes some serious effort, and you can't taste it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...