Tuesday 17 April 2012

Circular Cheese Stars (otherwise known as holiday baking)


Now I'm going to start by saying that I'm not quite as insane as you might think. I'm well aware that stars are not circular.

Phew!


(excuse my horrible photography. at home everyone's used to the 'half hour photography
 before anyone can eat' routine, but it seemed unfair to keep my grandparents waiting. 
especially after someone had already eaten one of the top of the plate!)

In fact, I wish my cheese stars hadn't been circular. It's just that… well… I forgot the cookie cutter!

And the rolling pin…

But never fear, the humble drinking glass is here!

A rolling pin and a cookie cutter all in one- you can even drink out of it!

You don't think about all those little things you use in the kitchen until they're missing- cups, tablespoons, proper baking trays, cookie cutters and rolling pins!

Still, they're perhaps not as important as we might think- I appear to have gotten through fine.

We're also living (pretty much) without the internet. Apart from the odd, very brief, phone hotspot, there's no internet access. 

At all!

Again, we do seem to be surviving, but I don't know how long we'll last.

We're at a library right now though, basking in the slow but free internet.

Oh! I'm a bit off topic. I'll get back to the biscuits now.

They're delicious and very, very easy!

They don't make many- maybe 15 or so- but they go quickly and are great hot out of the oven!

Cheese biscuits (in whatever shape you like!)
Based on: http://bakemedelicious.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/cheese-stars-or-hearts-story.html

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
6 tbsp (85g) butter
1 cup tasty cheese, grated
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 small egg
Milk, to mix

1. Rub together the flour and butter in a bowl until they have a sand like texture.
2. Add the cheese and mustard powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and add. Mix well.
3. Mix with your hands until a ball forms. Add milk if necessary.
4. Chill in the fridge for half an hour. Preheat the oven to 180˚c. 
5. Roll out on a lightly flowered bench to roughly 1 cm thick. Cut into whatever shape you like.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve while warm, or allow to cool.

Enjoy!

Mia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...